Saturday, June 23, 2012

Levon Helm - an RS funeral report

...buried next to Rick, Montana night drive with

RICK DANKO "Stage Fright" (Live at Dylan's Cafe, 12-8-1987, Washington, D.C.) Rolling Stone... April 24, 2012



Tonight we were driving home from Kelly Canyon, a lovely night, crescent moon just popping up on the horizon. Deer dancing across the road in the meadow. And I had popped in this live CD in the stereo, a 2-disc set of Rick Danko, playing solo. The title of the disc is "Live At Dylan's Cafe." Recorded in late 1987, a lonley solo show in Washington, DC. (The titles pop up in my media player all are Japanese characters!)

Makes me lonesome for The Band, of course. Rick plays guitar really well, though, and being a bass player, the song tracks right along the bass lines. And in my head, getting into his head, I feel the rest of The Band. Maybe you will, too, when you listen to this sample track. As a band, no other band grabbed me so completely as The Band. Each part that each member played. I guess they were lucky, really. Lucky to have had that time, and that feeling. And some whole bunch of us got to hear it and experience it, or at least what we could by listening and watching them. And it makes me reflect on my Geezer pals, and any of my other fellow friends who are musicians and fans.

Hope you like the article. I like the quotes.

I like the picture of the funeral band.

No comments:

Post a Comment