Sunday, July 10, 2011

Who Knows Where the Time Goes?

I was watching TCM the other day, and "The Subject Was Roses" (1968) came on. I didn't wind up watching the whole thing, but it was good, although depressing. It has Patricia Neal, Jack Albertson, and Martin Sheen. But the thing that I really liked was the opening. It had Judy Collins singing this song with just her twelve-string and no band. She sang it all the way through that way, while the movie started up with Patricia Neal waking up and going out in her living room, and viewing the strewn remains of the welcome home party for her son, who just returned from WWII. He and his Dad got drunk; the Mom felt left out. Anyway, the song has been running through my head ever since. You guys probably remember it was written by Sandy Denny. It reminds me of Mike, who was a big Sandy Denny fan. I believe I heard it the year he and Cod roomed together at BGSU. I used to visit their apartment, and we'd listen to albums. The chords are copied below. I'm going try to figure it out. --Rob




WHO KNOWS WHERE THE TIME GOES
by Sandy Denny
E  A2  E  A2  E  A2  E  A2
E                     A2                   E    A2
Across the morning sky all the birds are leaving
 E                 A2                        E  A2
Ah but how can they know it's time for them to go?
  F#m                Abm A                  Abm   A
Before the winter fire, we'll still be dreamin'
                      E
I do not count the time

CHORUS:
     B                     A
For who knows where the time goes?
  E                  A    F#m   A  E   E  A2  E  A2
Who knows where the time goes?

Sad, deserted shore, your fickle friends are leaving
Ah but then you know it's time for them to go
But I will still be here, I have no thought of leaving
I do not count the time ...CHORUS

And I am not alone while my love is near me
And I know it will be so 'til it's time to go
So count the storms of winter and then the birds in spring again
I do not fear the time

CHORUS #2:
For who knows how my love grows?
And who knows where the time goes?

A2: x 0 2 2 0 0
Abm: 4th fret bar, 022000

No comments:

Post a Comment