Friday, June 24, 2011

"Tell Me Why" TONY JOE WHITE... Indian Lake trip, year of ... 1969?

How about some Geezer Buckeye Teenage nostalgia for an ol' Louisiana swamp gator singer on the transister radio.... Rob and Roger may or may not remember. But there was this weekend camping trip one summer. I think it was Indian Lake. I don't remember exactly where Indian Lake is, but I guess it wasn't too far afield from central Ohio. Tim McCreary with his '67 LeMans was there. And my Peachblow Road pal since even before grade school, Steve Vaughn was also along. We were shining the flashlights and looking for girls. Weren't we? A shrug, a sigh, I can't remember much. But I do remember, that TONY JOE WHITE's "Polk Salad Annie" was on the pop radio, and we grunted along with him, singing about that straight razor totin' woman, "... . fever got you, Granny..." Ah, good times .... Rob got his tooth chipped by my carelessness on the front end of the canoe. After some late night razzing about something, Steve told us in no uncertain terms, we "... could all eat shit and die, and bark at the moon, goddammit!!" Which we all thought a memorable thing for our future bucket list. I think I was heavy into my Fender Villager 12-string, and wanting to do Glen Campbell songs. Was Gary there with his Clapton blues guitar riffs? Was Roger quoting Hugh Hefner lines, or citing notable playmates of the month? I jes can't remember everything, you know? Anyhow, this Tony Joe song is in the here and now. It has a groove I enjoy, from Tony's latest Swamp Records album, The Shine. Key: E minor.... Em... Bm... Am

No comments:

Post a Comment